August updates for Green supporters in the Barrie area:
1) “3-R” Yard Sale August 9th – 3 ways to support it
2) Dragonhunter Apprenticeship Program, Fort Willow, August 16th
3) Farmer’s Markets everywhere!
1) Our first “Reduce, Re-use, Recycle” yard sale is this Saturday, August 9th, from 7 am – 1 pm. There are 3 ways you can show your support:
- Donate goods – contact Ruth (email@example.com or 737-5768) ASAP
and let her know you’d like to schedule a pickup or drop-off of goods.
(Generous tax credit given for all goods sold)
- Donate time – we could still use a little volunteer help with the following shifts:
7 – 10 am sales, 10 am – 1 pm sales, or 1 – 2 pm cleanup.
Again, contact Ruth (firstname.lastname@example.org or 737-5768) ASAP. Refreshments will be provided.
- Drop by and shop – all proceed will support the local Green Party,
keep things out of the waste stream, and the prices that can’t be beat!
2) Dragonhunter Apprenticeship Program, August 16th – hosted by the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority at Fort Willow just west of Barrie.
This looks like a truly amazing event for kids of all ages. For more information, visit: http://calendar.county.simcoe.on.ca/upload/Dragonhunter%20Apprenticeship%20Program.doc
Note: you MUST pre-register by email no later than Friday August 8th!
3) Farmers Markets everywhere!
Barrie is blessed with an abundance of farmers’ markets allowing you the chance to feast on local & sustainable food. In addition to the longstanding one held every Saturday morning @ Barrie City Hall, you should also be aware of these other, newer ones that may better suit your schedule:
– Simcoe County Farm Fresh @ Royal Victoria Hospital,
every Tuesday (until October), 11 am – 3 pm.
Features 5 vendors carrying products from 10+ local farms: produce, meats, baked goods, preserves
– “Green Sprout” @ Victoria Village, every Thursday 3 -6 pm.
– Eco Farmer’s Market @ Hempola in Dalston, 93 & Forbes Rd, just off 400.
Every Friday (until Thanksgiving), 4 – 8 pm.
Features exclusively organic products
With four Barrie locations and schedules to choose from, eating locally is now an easy alternative to shopping at a major chain grocer!
That’s all for now, but stay tuned for Part 2 next week – it’s an exciting Green summer!
Barrie Green Party
(Coming next week in Part 2: … Guelph by-election … Summer Summit Aug 22-24 … Fair Vote Barrie chapter AGM Sept. 18 … )